Thursday 18 March 2010

Her results - Buttermilk Pie

When I was young, I refused to eat buttermilk pie. It sounded like an adult dessert, almost akin to cottage cheese and fruit (which I still can't be convinced to try). Perhaps if I had made one of these pies with my grandma, I would have realized that it's made of all the tasty stuff I love. Like the buttermilk cake we made recently, this pie only has 1/2 c. buttermilk but a ton of sugar. Here's what it looked like just before going into the oven:


And upon coming out:


I don't know what caused that weird fissure, but it didn't alter the flavor!


I love this pie. Like he mentioned, it is sweet but not overly so. The flavor is hard to pin down. All I can really say is that it's almost got the flavor of custard but not quite. It's a bit sweet, a bit eggy, a bit buttery... The homemade crust was an upgrade over frozen, but the upper edge of my crust got overdone. I'm still learning! In making this crust, I discovered a way to reduce the stress I feel when trying to make pie crust. I usually get frustrated when I'm trying to roll the crust thin and round enough, and then lift it into the dish without it tearing. By making slightly too much pie crust, it's easier to work with. Until I hone my rolling pin skills, this may be my strategy. I had to use a 9.5" pie dish, and that made my pie just a little thicker than it might have been in a larger dish. Since I like a lot of filling in my pie, it was right up my alley. This will not be the last time I make a buttermilk pie. I may try my great grandmother's recipe next time. It calls for three times as much buttermilk and some lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...