Tuesday 2 February 2010

Her results - Caramel cake



After last week's icky cupcakes, we redeemed ourselves with this delicious caramel cake. Yummmm!

Making caramel cake turned out to be easy and enjoyable. The cake is basically a traditional yellow sponge that gets half its fat from buttermilk. The caramel glaze is a great alternative to the traditional icing that I've known for years. I'm glad to add it to my repertoire.

I unknowingly glazed the bottom of my cake instead of flipping it right side up before pouring the caramel over it. I like how this caused the surface to be more flat and smooth.

My only snafu was forgetting to run a knife around the edge of the cake before turning it out onto a rack, which caused a tear along one edge of the cake. Oh well, it looks good from the other angles! This evening I shared some cake with a new friend and an even newer acquaintance, and tomorrow I'm taking the majority of it to work for a co-worker's b-day. It's nice being able to share the wealth.

I highly suggest this cake. It's rich and delicious, like tres leches for rural southerners! It's highly caloric but perfect for a splurge.

I get to pick what we bake this weekend. It's currently toss up between something remotely healthy and some good old fashioned pie. Stay tuned to see what wins out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...