Friday 12 November 2010

Recipe 33 - Chocolate Ganache Custard Tart

It's been a rough week. I've decided that there's a pie-sized hole in my soul that needs filling. Okay, I admit that eating a whole pie may not make me feel better, so I will need to share...

You know who's never let me down? David Lebovitz. On top of occasionally reading his blog, I also follow him via his Facebook site where this week he posted a picture of a "Chocolate Tart (from Ready for Dessert)." It's not exactly pie, but it is precisely what I need!

My boyfriend tells me that David is protective of his recipes, and seeing that it's how he makes his living, I understand. As such, I'm going to attempt to put the recipe from his AMAZING book Ready for Dessert into my own words. I am a very lazy person at 10:30pm, so this is going to be rough. To cut corners, I'm going to roll with this recipe for an atypical but authentic French tart shell. One must prepare the tart shell before proceeding to the recipe below.

Chocolate Ganache Custard Tart
Makes one 9" tart, 8-10 servings

Ingredients
280g roughly chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
250ml (1c) heavy cream or half-and-half
1 lg egg
1 egg yolk
2t Cognac

Method
Preheat the oven to 350F/gas mark 4.

Put a pan of water on the stove to simmer, and grab a heatproof bowl. In that bowl, combine the chocolate and cream. Set the bowl into the simmering water and stir occasionally into the chocolate is melted and you have a smooth mixture. Remove the bowl from the heat.

Whisk the cognac, egg and egg yolk into the chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture into your prebaked tart shell, and jiggle and tilt the unbaked tart to create an even surface.

It's time to bake it! Set your tart onto a baking sheet and slide it into the oven. It will be ready in about 20 minutes. It should look nearly set but still quiver when jiggled. Be careful not to overbake your tart.

Let the tart cool completely before removing the tart pan from the crust. David gives tips for removing the pan in his excellent book, which you need to buy! Excellent Christmas present, guys and gals!

Serve with whipped cream, caramel ice cream or orange caramel sauce.

Serve the tart the same day it is made, at room temperature.


Dang, I always try to pick recipes that keep well until at least the next day. I didn't notice that this one should be consumed ASAP. Pie-shaped hole, prepare to be filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...