Monday 3 May 2010

His - Chocolate Rum 'n' Raisin Cake

A while ago I sorted through some cupboards and came across this boxed cake pan. I'd guess it's 70s or 80s but it had never been used. Look how beautiful and shiny it is! I decided to give it a whirl this week.


I got a good deal on this chocolate. It's pretty good and I got two bars for £1.10. I decided to melt the stuff together in a double boiler rather than straight in a saucepan.

It all came together very easily.

The batter tasted very rich and delicious.

The recipe says to bake it for 60 to 90 minutes. I'm always wary of opening the oven early because it makes cakes sink so we left it until the hour mark and both had a peek. It was overdone! This recipe is clearly screwy. It should probably have come out 20 minutes earlier and nobody could ever need it to be in for 90 minutes.

It's a real shame it ended up overdone and dry because otherwise it's tasty. I had a slice with some fromage frais when it was still a little warm from the oven and enjoyed it. To be honest though I think it would have been at least as good with no chocolate. The rum and raisin flavour is lost as it is. Next time I'd either reduce the chocolate or cut it out entirely, add a pinch of salt and check the cake after 35 or 40 minutes. It's definately a tasty cake though. The cake pan's a total winner by the way. Hopefully it shall continue to serve me well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...