Monday 21 June 2010

Her results - Simple Cherry Sorbet

I wasn't able to get sweet red cherries from my nearby grocery, so I decided to try these pink and yellow ones. I forgot to photograph them before I pitted them, but they were undoubtedly prettier before I went at them with a knife and my fingers. Pitting them wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I ended up making a full batch.


The recipe was very simple, and everything was together in a saucepan in no time.


As they heated, they got a little frothy.


It was taking forever to cool, so I ended up putting it in a water bath to lower the temperature more quickly.


After that, I had to put it in the freezer for hours upon hours. At first it just wasn't freezing as quickly as the recipe suggested it might. After two hours there was basically no progress. After four hours, it was getting slushy. I went away to work in my garden for a few hours, and when I got home I found that I'd left the freezer cracked open. It was completely liquified again. So I shut the freezer, went to bed, and tossed it in the food processor the next morning.


I have a decent food processor, but it took a really long time to get this stuff ground up. I haven't figured out why. I live in an apartment, and I bet my neighbors really wanted to know what I was doing with that machine on at full blast for 30 minutes. In the end, it was worth it.


Yum! The sugar and heat really brought out the flavor of the cherries. I'll have to admit that while I love the idea of cherries, I usually find them to be one of the less tasty fruits. Whether or not you share my opinion, this is a good way to make the most of cherries. I added the almond extract but not the kirsch. I can't taste the almond flavor, which I'm happy about. The texture gets nicer and creamer when it sits outside the freezer for a few minutes. I'm going to have another scoop right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...