Thursday 22 April 2010

Her results - Squirrel Sugar Cookies



I made my cookie dough in my grandmother's kitchen, where as a child I learned to cook and bake. I used her KitchenAid stand mixer, which wasn't around when I was younger. It was fun for a change, but I find it more fulfilling to use my hand mixer for cookie dough. What was really nice was being in a larger kitchen with more windows!

I incorporated some beautiful green and brown eggs that I bought at the farmer's market in downtown Lexington. Like Thom, I experimented with the sugar. I used 3/4 dark brown sugar and 1/4 granulated white sugar in an effort to darken up the dough a bit. The brown sugar didn't darken up the dough much, but the baked cookies held their shape nicely.



I didn't have fun sprinkles so I used some coarse sanding sugar on their tails. It's hard to see on the baked cookies in the picture above, but when you held a cookie in your hand it looked subtly pretty. My little squirrel cookies turned out less dark than I had hoped, and they were strangely puffy and cakey. That wasn't an explicitly bad thing, but it was surprising. This wasn't the best adaptation of a recipe, but they tasted nice and I was satisfied. In my opinion, my grandmother and aunt showed me up with a delicious butter pecan birthday cake and "30" sugar cookies. We need to learn my aunt's favorite sugar cookie recipe. Those things are addictive!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...