Monday 25 January 2010

Her results - Black bottom cupcakes




There are too many good deserts in the world to justify eating mediocre desserts. Why not save the calories and eat something totally delicious? If I'm going to eat these buns then I'm going to have to break my principles, because I'm sad to say that they're just not yummy. My grandma says they may be better tomorrow. I can only hope!

When we were making them, I said, "That's a lot of cocoa." But for some weird reason, I can hardly taste chocolate in the end product. I don't think I can taste anything but flour, which isn't exactly ideal. Plus the cheesecake stuck to my front teeth each time I took a bite. I'm not saying they're gross, but they're not tasty.

The good news is that even though I can't name a redeeming quality about the taste, these were still fun to make. We video chatted on Skype, which was great. All the people who've been telling me to join Skype for years were so right. Plus, I learned the following:

1) What they call a "jug" in England, I call a glass measuring cup.
2) One ml of water weighs one gram. I love it.
3) In place of eggs, vinegar can react with baking powder to create leavening. I only filled my tins about 1/3 full of chocolate batter, but the buns surprisingly rose to full height.
5) "...mix on medium until smooth and fluffy. Be careful not to overmix." is a more ambiguous statement than you'd think. I couldn't get my cheesecake batter to fluff up beyond a liquidy state, which explains my paper-thin cheesecake layer. At least it looks kinda cool. Did they mean "Be careful not to overmix or the cheesecake will stick to your front teeth?" Maybe that's what happened...

I get to pick the recipe for next week, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...