Friday 10 December 2010

Her results- Chewy Ginger Cookies with Cardamom and Black Pepper

He was right, I was super happy to see this recipe on the docket. I love spices! These turned out to be really yummy cookies.

I had a little trouble finding cardamom. My nearby grocery neither carried whole nor ground cardamom, so I had to go to Whole Foods. The good news is that they had it in their bulk food aisle, so I only had to buy what I needed. I think that scooping what I need into a tiny little bag is cheaper, fresher, and more fun, too.

The resultant dough was quite sticky and thinner than typical cookie dough. But it was thick enough that I was able to roll my dough balls in a mixture of granulated sugar, opal sanding sugar and demerara sugar. That gave the finished product a nice, sweet crunch.

I had a feeling that they'd spread out a lot, so I placed the little balls very far apart on my 16 x 13" baking sheet - just six to a sheet at first. That turned out to be smart, because they really spread. I put nine on my final sheet, which was probably the best spacing.



I baked my first batch for six minutes and I felt like they were underdone, so I baked the rest of the batches for seven minutes. Unfortunately, seven minutes in the oven made the cookies crisper than I'd suggest. To cover for myself, I opted to leave the word "chewy" out of the title when advertising these to friends. Ha! If you make these, err on the side of under-baking.

These are great holiday cookies.


On Saturday, my co-workers and I are going to a Gourmet Cooking baking class at Sur La Table. The menu consists of:
Scandinavian Rosettes - Biscotti Quadrati al Miele e alle Noci (Honey Nut Squares) - Chocolate Peppermint Bar Cookies - Trios - Glittering Lemon Sandwich Cookies

I'm excited! Maybe I'll learn a thing or two about how to move fast. I have no idea how one bakes five types of cookies in two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...