Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Her Results - Orange Tea Cake

I got exactly what I expected out of this recipe: a simple, flavorful, fluffy cake.


I accidentally forgot to buy sour cream, so I cobbled together a chain of substitutions I found on the web. First, to make buttermilk, I measured 1T of white vinegar into a 1c measuring cup and filled with 2% milk. I gave that about five minutes, and then I whisked my cup of buttermilk with 1/3c melted butter. I forgot that my cold milk would cause the butter to seize up, so I had to sit that bowl into a bath of warm water to liquefy it again. No wonder it took me a while to make this simple cake! At any rate, I used 1/2 cup of this mixture as a substitute for sour cream and it worked really well.

As you can see, the batter was thick and fluffy.


The method and ingredients are different, but the taste of this cake immediately reminded of some Fresh Orange Muffins we made back in October 2010. Another recipe we made in January of last year, Orange Cornmeal Cake, is probably my favorite of the three orange-infused desserts we've made. This week's cake was the least sweet of the three, which is just an observation and not a complaint. Since I began dating an Englishman I have become more and more open to "sweets" that aren't very sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I love cakes like this! I often use Greek style yogurt for sour cream.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...