Friday, 24 June 2011

Her results - Scones


Unlike him, I haven't eaten a lot of scones in my life. But being from the American South, I have had many a biscuit and I don't mean cookie! In making these and sampling the results, I kept wondering, "What makes a scone a scone and a biscuit a biscuit?" Turns out there's not that much of a difference, especially considering what went into our recipe this week. Our recipe only called for self-raising flour, fat and milk, but what often sets scones apart is the addition of any or all of the following: eggs, cream, sugar, dried fruit. Since our recipe contained none of those, I'm still left wondering if the difference between this week's scones and good old fashioned biscuits is in the eye of the beholder.

I was surprised to see lard amongst the ingredients listed in the recipe. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't kid myself about the animal products that sneak into my food on a regular basis. If you really want to control what you eat, you have to either make it yourself or ask a lot of questions. For this recipe, I used Crisco instead of the lard. I'm telling myself that's why my scones didn't get much lift, but I know that's almost definitely a lie.

I used butter right out of the fridge instead of letting it rise to room temperature, and I used a food processor to cut my fat into my flour. I dumped my crumbs into a bowl and used a wooden spoon to stir in the milk. The dough was very easy to work with, which was probably my favorite part of this recipe.


I used a drinking glass to stamp out my circular scones. I'm fairly sure that the roundness of these scones triggered my scone-biscuit confusion, because every scone I've eaten prior to these has been triangular.


The scones were pretty tasty though nothing stood out about them. If this is truly the best scone recipe ever written, then my results must have suffered from vegetarian user error of some sort or another. Regardless I would bake these again, and it will be my go-to recipe if one day I misplace my recipe for biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...