Friday, 29 April 2011

Her results - Courgette Cake with Crunchy Lemon Glaze

It's breakfast time as I type this, and I wish I had a piece of this cake to eat. Unfortunately it was several weeks ago when I baked this, and there's nothing remotely like it within hand's reach. But to be honest, this cake doesn't fall squarely into the category of cake that's acceptable for breakfast. But don't the ingredients look so healthy(-ish)?





I used my micro-plane grater on my zucchini (aka courgette). It worked well but took a while. If I bake this cake again, I'll attempt to use the fine grating attachment on my food processor. At any rate, the cake was very simple to pull together. I baked it for 45 minutes and the results were perfect.



While it was cooling, I juiced my lemons. Lucky for me, I had a great juicer on hand. My friends had been over the day before and we made palomas, and Courtney had left her wonderful tool at my place. This juicer makes the job a snap. [[Fantastic news: Courtney gave me one of these tools for my birthday. Yay!!! Thanks, C!]


I glazed my cake over my kitchen sink for quick clean-up.


I didn't get a good picture of the finished cake, but I'll admit that I've seen prettier. When sliced, though, the cake looks nice and tastes wonderful.



I couldn't taste the courgette, which wasn't surprising, but I was a little surprised by how strongly the cake tasted of spices. That's not a criticism, but I wonder whether the cake might be even nicer with a little less of each spice. The crunchy lemon glaze was fantastic. I will definitely use it again. All in all, this is a great cake that and I suggest baking it. It's a perfect way to use up some of the bumper crop of squash that we're soon to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...