Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Her results - Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Toffee

The Chocolate Covered Pretzel Toffee was a hit. There was a nice buttery taste to the toffee and the flavor of the pretzels shone through at just the right intensity. The pretzels served a second purpose, too. The toffee came out a little harder than I prefer it, but the pretzel bits helped keep the candy soft enough to nibble. I found that putting the pretzels into a big freezer bag and then going at it with a rolling pin was an effective way to get the bits to a good size in no time.


I used Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup. Americans, if you have not tried this stuff, now is the time! Yum.


It took almost twice as long as the recipe predicted for my mixture to reach 300, but everything really came together very quickly. This is definitely amongst the quickest things we've made.




As for the chocolate layer, I made a choice that I might not suggest repeating: I used a combination of semisweet and milk chocolate chips since I had a little of each that I wanted to use up. It's good this way, but I'd suggest foregoing milk chocolate. It would be better if the chocolate could hold its own against the bold flavor of the toffee. Also, I forgot to buy sea salt flakes, so I had to sprinkle fine crystal sea salt atop. I only used 1/2 teaspoon, because that was enough to cover the chocolate I didn't want to overdo it. This is an okay alternative, but a good flake salt would provide more surprising bursts of saltiness, which is my personal preference.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...